Workshops and Adventures are offered on dates throughout the year, with personal tuition given to these small groups.
Workshops are limited to a maximum of 6 participants (unless otherwise specified) to ensure you get personal tuition and the opportunity to get the most from the chosen locations. Most workshops last for approx 2-8 hours.
Alternatively, you can book a 1-to-1 bespoke photographic workshop, where I offer a custom mentoring program to assist you in furthering your creative style of photography and enjoy time out making images without fuss or hurry.
Whilst you must be reasonably fit to attend the workshop days, there are no long walks or arduous uphill sections in most workshops; you will be advised if a particular workshop is likely to include such “exercise”.
Sample Workshop Course Content
Each workshop will cover the fundamentals of good photography, regardless of whether you are new to photography, improver, or theme workshops.
Most workshops will, therefore, include the following;
- The camera –where appropriate, an overview of the functions and facilities available on your camera
- Exposure control – where appropriate, manual, aperture priority, shutter priority and ISO settings and exposure compensation and bracketing
- Working with the light and camera metering modes
- Focus control
- Depth of field
- The eye of a photographer
- Images format
- White balance
- The Histogram
- Post-production options
Bespoke Workshop and Adventures Options
We also offer one-to-one workshops and photo adventures to many parts of the UK and Europe for individuals and small groups. These are arranged to suit participants’ own requirements and wishes. In addition to our time in your bespoke workshop, you will receive online mentoring.
Why Learn with Mark
Mark is a qualified photographer with 30 years of commercial photographic experience and holds a degree (BA Hons) in photography from the University of Plymouth, amongst other media qualifications. At the end of 2022, Mark completed his Masters in Photography and is awaiting his award.
Additionally, Mark has been awarded by his peers at the Royal Photographic Society Licentiate Distinction (LRPS) on his first submission.
Mark holds £10M of public liability insurance and is a qualified First Aider.
What do past attendees say about Mark and his Workshops?
“I joined Mark on one of his 1 to 1 workshops “New to Photography Workshop” back in April 2019, I wanted to rejuvenate my hobby for photography, having been a member of a local camera club where if your face fits you were ok I wanted to understand more about photography and techniques, well 18 mths on having been a regular attendee on his walks and trips I feel I have learned much more from a very motivated, experienced educator and communicator.”Malcolm, Somerset via email
“Many thanks for all the help on your photography workshop in getting me away from auto settings, and understanding depth of field, rule of 3rds ect, it has been a great help in improving my photography skills and making everything even more enjoyable than I ever thought possible, Many thanks, Mark.”Mike, Taunton, Somerset
“Mark has the knack of simplifying the technical. He is always available to answer questions, even when they have been asked before.”Katrina, Minehead, Somerset.
“After having owned my Nikon DSLR camera for many years and never having taken it off Auto, I decided to join Mark on one of his Full Day Camera courses. He took me through the basics and encouraged me throughout the day, by adding new skills at varying locations. By the time we had finished, I felt confident to continue learning and practising my new skills. A great day for those who need to better understand their camera. Thanks Mark.”Karen, Porlock, Somerset
“Mark has endless patience, is very encouraging and has a wealth of knowledge, he has been a great support in helping me progress my intermediate photography skills from capturing the shot to editing in Lightroom.”Joanne, Minehead, Somerset
”We had some lovely days with sun, clouds, rain and wind. Today an Exmoor photographer showed us some beautiful places on Exmoor. Thank you Mark Stothard for taking us the whole day out and giving us a lot of tips ?”Elma, Facebook, NL.
“Mark’s passion for his art of photography, comes through in the warmth and professionalism he shows in all his workshops. He makes you feel welcome, relaxed and nothing is too much trouble! He simplifies instructions so that we can all understand. We all come away feeling greatly inspired and with new knowledge to become better photographers ourselves. His variety of workshops shows his broad knowledge. I particularly enjoyed the trip out onto Exmoor to photograph ponies and Highland cattle, where his enthusiasm is evident. The ambience of the smaller groups, where everyone is friendly and Mark inspires us to help each other, as well as sharing his tips and knowledge with us. I would thoroughly recommend attending any of his workshops.”Sue, Bridgwater, Somerset.
All courses/workshops can be booked online via this secure payment facility or over the phone; see courses below; if you have any questions, please call us on 01643 25 25 25 (+44 1643 25 25 25), or book a Zoom | Teams video call.
Step By Step Booking Guide
- Choose from any of the workshops narratives pictured below
- Select narrative/location/number of places from the drop-down above the calendar
- Select the date and time you wish to start, followed by the duration from my available schedule
- Click Book Now
- Scroll down and complete the booking form with your personal and payment details
- Pay via your chosen payment method, Payment card, Apple Pay, Google Pay or PayPal
- You will receive an email confirmation from us of your workshop booking (check spam folder)
- This date is booked into our systems automatically, and we call you a couple of days before to ensure you are fit and well for your workshop and make final arrangements for a meeting place/time. If the weather forecast is terrible, you can postpone if you wish, as we would rather you enjoy a day out with your camera in reasonable weather than get cold and wet!
- If we cancel your workshop or adventure for any reason, we will give you a full refund and one of our gift vouchers to the value of your booking to be used at a later date
Workshops are limited to a maximum of 6 participants (unless otherwise specified) to ensure you get personal tuition and the opportunity to get the most from the chosen locations. Most workshops last for approximately 2-8 hours per day.
Workshop : Connecting your Nikon Camera
4 week In-Person Photography Training Course
Workshop : Understand your camera
Workshop : New to Photography
Workshop : Exmoor Highland Cattle Photography
Workshop : Exmoor Ponies Photography
Workshop : Bespoke 1 to 1 Photography
Workshop : Landscape Photography
Workshop : Seascape Photography
What You Need To Bring
New to Photography Workshop
- Your camera
- A good pair of walking shoes
Improving Photography Workshop
- Your camera
- A good pair of walking shoes
Most other Workshop and Adventures
- Your own SLR camera – film or digital but digital has advantages in seeing what you have taken whilst out on the workshop
- Your lenses – wide angle is usually best for landscape work
- Any filters you have in your kit
- Remote release switch if you have one – if not, the delayed timer can be used instead
- Suitable clothing and footwear for being out and about in the countryside/seaside
Packed lunch if applicable
You can create great images in all types of weather, so if safe to proceed, it will continue in the rain. If we cancel your workshop or adventure for any reason, we will give a full refund and one of our gift vouchers to the value of the workshop/adventure to be used at a later date. No other consequential costs that you incur will be considered for compensation.